Monday, October 11, 2010

hello, punkin.

It's punkin time. Which means fall is practically here. Which means get out those sweaters, go punkin shopping, crush some acorns on cool walks, and whip out everything punkin-flavored.

Not that I was totally sold on "pumpkin flavored" goodies (although I'd like to pretend I am to be in the "fall fad"), I am after this fabulous recipe. It's half Real Simple, half Christina Dismuke. I can't take all of the credit, but I'll happily take some. This is the most I've ever altered a recipe, and it turned out pretty stinkin' punkin delish. Get excited for this healthy alternative.

The alterations started when the recipe called for pumpkin pie filling. And I saw the sugar and fat on that baby. Negative. So I did exactly what the RS recipe spelled out NOT to get, which was real pumpkin. Which I bought. Streak of rebellion today. Lasted 2.74 seconds. Then I questioned if the pie filling had something 100% organic pumpkin doesn't (which the answer is obviously yes), so I made the executive decision to add some eggs, change the flour...those kind of changes having NO idea how this would turn out. Please make this. So good. Eat it before you go punkin shopping since it's not cool enough here to down a Venti Pumpkin Spice Latte without your insides burning.

Dismuke's Real-Simple Punkin Walnut Bread



1 cup pure pumpkin
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Heat oven to 350° F. Oil a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.

In a large bowl (I used my KitchenAid mixer bowl), combine the pumpkin pie filling, oil, sugar, molasses, vanilla, and eggs. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, walnuts and ginger. Slowly stir the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture. I beat all of this together with my mixer just because I didn't want my arm to fall off and I don't like touching molasses. Just a texture disagreement.

Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes (true life.). Transfer pan to a wire rack for 10 minutes. Using a knife, loosen the bread from the pan (didn't need to). Invert it onto a cutting board.

Next time I plan on adding something like cranberries. Go crazy with this. I just wanted to make sure my base recipe was good and that it wasn't the cranberries, coconut, or flax seed throwing anything off. Resolution: base recipe is good. I want this to stay in my family forever and ever and ever and ever. I want my great grandson to make this for his wifey and think of me.

Speaking of wifey, I had a great day being just that. I went to HEB all by myself before it got crowded, took One to the Bark Park, gave him a bath, cleaned the house, make the bread, ironed some clothes, did school stuff, and was there when my husband got home. Also, I snapped myself in the face with my sports bra strap trying to put it on and had a red mark all of the way to HEB. Which is equally as privately embarrassing as when I shaved some eyelashes off when I was trying to shave my armpit in New Zealand. Like how does that even happen?! I still cannot explain it. Except it was dim in the community showers and I wanted to get in and get out. Learn to laugh at yourself. I just loved the simplicity of my day.

Numero dos. Real Simple helped me out again with this one.

Chicken Skewers with Bean Salad and Pesto. Hello lovely.


I decided to be an Iron Chef and tried smearing the pesto our like they sometimes do. Kinda sorta worked. I love the color though and the contrast with the purple of the radicchio. Classic. We also had a white wine from Marlborough in NZ. NZ has some AWESOME wineries and they are very affordable. Under $10 usually. Love.

1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1 small clove garlic
2 1/4 cups fresh parsley leaves
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt and black pepper
1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed
1/2 small head radicchio, thinly sliced (about 1 cup) (these will get a foam on them when you rinse them...keep rinsing and scrape it off, not to worry!
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces


In a food processor (or KitchenAid blender (whatev), puree the yogurt, pine nuts, garlic, 2 cups parsley, ¼ cup oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Set aside.

Chop the remaining ¼ cup parsley. In a medium bowl, toss with the beans, radicchio, vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Set aside.

Heat grill to medium-high. Thread the chicken onto 8 skewers, coat with the remaining tablespoon oil, and season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.

Grill the chicken (if you haven't bought a grill pan yet, I have NO idea what you are waiting for...pigs are NOT going to fly, people), turning occasionally, until cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes. Serve with the pesto and the bean salad.

Holy moly this was most excellent. I have never had radicchio before and it was surprisingly tasteful and packs lots of healthy goodness. Same with garbanzo beans. Second time to have those. Love.

The good thing about pesto is that you have the opportunity to make it your own. I remember making pesto with my parents one night and my dad suggested some spice. We added a red bell pepper slice and a little bit of cayenne pepper. Just what it needed. Play around. It gets chopped up anyways. I added some store-bought pesto tonight. Just a spoonful, but I love the basil-ey taste. It was beautiful. Helpful hint #2. If you are like me, never taste pesto by itself. I am not a fan. Don't like the consistency. I usually have it with a cracker or a nifty gluten-free Nut Thin.

Enjoy your privately embarrassing moments. And laugh at yourself. You'll smile and work on your abs.

No comments:

Post a Comment