Sunday, October 10, 2010

triple the fun.

Yes it is past 8 pm and yes, I am just starting to blog. That is because I have NO SCHOOL tomorrow. As much as I love my little ones, I am anxious to just be a wife tomorrow. You know, make my husband breakfast and lunch (usually the other way around), bake some pumpkin bread, tidy the house, take pups to the Bark Park, you know, wifey things that I miss. My heart is just so made for those things. It is so affirming.

This week has flown by at the equivalent rate of a hurricane, so my morsels of goodness have been stored up until tonight. When I am sitting here with my husband grading papers beside me, my green tea steeping, and my puppy under my feet sleeping. All is right with the world. Actually, I shouldn't say MY morsels of goodness because not only were these recipes found by Colin, they were made entirely by Colin as well. And no, he doesn't have a brother.

Funny story. I was teaching my kids about editing for capitalization this week. When previewing the vocabulary, I knew "edit" wouldn't be a word that they would be familiar with. I had planned to tell them that edit means "to fix", but immediately after I said the world edit, one of my kids' hands shot up and the exciting, sometimes dreaded words fly out of their mouth, "I have a connection." Making connections for my kids is key to their learning. Just like we have to be interested in something to read it or take it up, so do they. However, it is more integral for them, and sometimes difficult because of lack of experiences. Some of these connections are totally inappropriate for school ("Mrs. D, I know how the government keeps us safe. Like when my dad started hitting my mom, my granny chased him with a knife and the policemen took him away.") - that is why I refer to them sometimes as dreaded. THIS time, one of my little ones decided to make a connection to the word "edit". "You know, Mrs. Dismuke, like saying the f-word in a song. They don't want the babies hearin' that word on the radio so they gotta edit them out." Yes. Good.

Salmon with Mustard and Brown Sugar Glaze. Snap Peas in Sesame Dressing. (thanks Epicurious.)
(again, not a fan of mustard. SUPER fan of this mustard.)



3/4 cup dry white wine (we used Cupcake...and drank the rest later)
1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1 2-pound center-cut skinless salmon fillet
1/3 cup spicy brown mustard (this HAS to be spicy. the flavor is incredible)
1/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F. Boil wine, butter, and Old Bay seasoning in small saucepan 3 minutes. Sprinkle salmon on both sides with salt and pepper. Place fish on heavy rimmed baking sheet. Pour wine mixture over. Bake until fish is opaque in center, about 14 minutes. Remove from oven.

Preheat broiler. Mix mustard and sugar in small bowl to blend; spread over salmon to cover. Broil salmon until topping is brown and bubbling, about 3 minutes. Transfer salmon to platter and serve.

Snap peas.

12 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed
2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
1 tablespoon (packed) golden brown sugar
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Cook snap peas in saucepan on medium with EVOO for 3-4 minutes. Drain; rinse under cold water and drain again. Transfer to large bowl.

Whisk vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, salt, and pepper in small bowl to blend. (Peas and dressing can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand separately at room temperature.) Pour dressing over peas in large bowl; toss to coat. Season salad to taste with more salt and pepper, if desired. Serve at room temperature.

Oh my word, these are AMAZING. Snap peas are my new obsession. I could eat them daily.

Herbed Chicken and Arugula Panini with Tomato Soup (thanks, Epicurious.)



1 pound thin chicken breasts cut in half
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
8 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick slices ciabatta bread
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 bunch arugula
PESTO!

We used a Panini Maker from Williams-Sonoma (WHOOP!), but I kept the directions as is if you don't have one...

Sprinkle chicken on both sides with salt and pepper, then 1 tablespoon thyme. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sauté until golden and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate.

Add remaining 4 tablespoons oil and garlic to skillet; stir over medium heat 15 seconds. Add vinegar and remaining 1/2 tablespoon thyme; cook 15 seconds, scraping up browned bits. Return chicken to skillet and toss until heated through, about 1 minute.

Arrange 1 bread slice on each of 4 plates. Top with chicken, onion, and arugula, then drizzle with vinaigrette from skillet. Top with remaining bread.

Oh, and add PESTO too. Love love love pesto.

And this soup.


Shout out to our brand new Micro-Grater from Williams-Sonoma. Lifesaver with ginger and zest. Our paring knife method wasn't working very well. And was dangerous to Colin's wittle fingers!



Spice Rubbed Steak with White Beans, Green Beans, and Red Onions (thanks for the steak, Epicurious)


(word to your mother, this was COLIN'S plate. And no, he did not eat all of this steak. He shared it with puppy...)

2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Coarse kosher salt
1 1 1/4-pound top sirloin steak (about 1 inch thick)
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 15-ounce cans garbanzo beans, drained
2 handfuls of green beans
1/2 red onion

Mix chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, crushed red pepper, and oregano in small bowl. Sprinkle spices, salt, and pepper all over steak. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook steak to desired doneness, 5 minutes per side for medium-rare (or well done for weirdos like myself and Colin's sweet mom..)

Cook beans in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water , uncovered, until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain in a colander and immediately transfer to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking. When beans are cool, drain in a colander and pat dry. Add red onions, garbanzo beans, a bit of EVOO, salt, and pepper. Voila!

Ahh I know. Word vomit. Exactly what you want to hear after reading recipes. Loves these recipes. Excited about my pumpkin bread manana! Enjoy those radio edited songs!

No comments:

Post a Comment