Thursday, July 22, 2010

Baking and Blogging.

Well, today has been a surprisingly productive, uneventful (in terms of chasing One around making sure he doesn't destroy anything), and sweet. One had a Puppy Checkup this morning and the vet was just so wonderful. She gave me so many suggestions to help with potty training, behavior, and just overall health. I was so relieved and can already see the results today! No accidents and he let me give him his medicine with no problems.

Anyways, the reason I am sitting here able to blog in the middle of the day is that One is just exhausted and is asleep on his bed. Sooooooo, since he is asleep....



I can make THESE!



I have to share the recipe to these healthy (almost) organic blueberry muffins:

For the muffins:
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat organic pastry flour (I used half gluten free flour)
1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
1/2 cup organic quick-cooking oats (not instant)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup PLUS 2 tablespoons lowfat buttermilk (don't forget the 2 Tbsp buttermilk...)
1 large organic egg
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups fresh organic blueberries, washed and dried

For the topping:
1/4 cup blueberry all-fruit spread
24 fresh blueberries, washed and dried

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk wet ingredients together well. Toss blueberries with flour mixture. Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture and stir gently. Line a 12-count muffin pan with paper liners. Divide batter evenly and sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar. Bake 12-15 minutes or until tops are just set. Remove pan from oven; top each muffin with 1 teaspoon fruit spread and 2 blueberries. Bake 3-5 minutes more or until golden. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and serve.

And as a healthy muffin skeptic, these rocked. Hands down.

One took an extra long nap, so not only did I get to bake these, I got to clean the house (minus vacuuming, of course), and read my Real Simple magazine.

Speaking of Real Simple, you HAVE to check out Route4me.com . They even have an app for your iPhone. Basically you put in your destinations (like if you are running a lot of errands) and it will tell you the best route! I love this. I love efficiency. I mean I write rough drafts of grocery lists and then refine them based on my route in the grocery store. I know some of you are thinking, "gaaagggg". Sorry. THAT'S an app someone needs to jump on and create. I'd love you forever. Colin?

Aaaannnnnddd I got a front row parking space at the grocery store. Score.

Oh, happy day!

3 comments:

  1. Those look so good! I love to hear about your day...blog more! :) Loves from Momma G

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, that is JUST like the traveling salesman problem!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling_salesman_problem

    And people say math isn't practical...

    Also, those muffins look AMAZING. Martha would be proud, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stumbled on your blog today....loved hearing about y'all!
    Great blog, great pics, and those look like great muffins!
    Good to see that you're both well!

    ReplyDelete