Wednesday, September 15, 2010

double dipping.

So tonight, I'm double dipping. On account of Open House last night (1 parent showed up), I didn't get home until after 7. Which pushed dinnertime until close to 8:15, which totally threw my night off. Anywho, tonight is a "twofer". Last night AND tonight with some funny stories in between.

Numero uno. Chicken Kebabs with Creamy Pesto.



2 tsp grated lemon rind
4 tsp fresh lemon juice, divided
2 tsp bottled, minced garlic (this stuff saves my LIFE since I abhor chopping garlic and the smell that lingers..)
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
8 (1-inch) pieces yellow bell pepper
8 cherry tomatoes
1 pound skinless, boneless, chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 small red onion, cut into 8-10 wedges
cooking spray
2 Tbsp plain low-fat yogurt (we usually use Greek yogurt for the texture)
2 Tbsp reduced-fat sour cream
1 Tbsp commercial pesto

Preheat broiler.

Combine rind, 1 Tbsp juice, garlic, oil, salt, and pepper. Toss with bell pepper, tomatoes, chicken and onion. Thread veggies and chicken onto 4 metal skewers. Places skewers on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray (or foil to avoid clean-up). Broil 12 minutes or until chicken is done, turning occasionally.

Combine 1 tsp juice, yogurt, sour cream, and pesto. Serve sauce with kebabs.


Intermission:
I tell you, kids say the funniest things when you just spend time with them outside of "school". Like one of my students being an Uncle to another student in my class. Yeah, his brother is the other girl's daddy. It's not that I don't believe it is possible - few things shock me these days with my little ones - it's just, wow. The immature person I've had you sitting next to because I thought you were a positive influence on is your UNCLE.

Oh, I thought about getting my eyebrows waxed today. It is a fabulous little nail place that charges $6. Colin knows that if I could just have one "indulgence" a week, it would be getting my eyebrows waxed. However, the thought of anything molten being ripped off my tense, sore, fever-ridden face was not appealing to me. Erego, the bushy caterpillars above my eyes. Which one of my sweet, unashamed little girls pointed out to me today.


Bison Pita Burgers with Tahini Sauce and Tomato Cucumber Salad



Burgers:
1/4 cup red onion
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground ginger
16 oz. ground bison (it's really healthy and lean. and GOOD!!)
cooking spray
8 small green lettuce leaves
4 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, halved

Sauce:
1/2 cup plain 2% Greek-style yogurt
1 Tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste) -- I won't give you the recipe we used because it wasn't as "pasty" as expected.
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced (I use the bottled stuff. I'm a cheater. Fine.)

To prepare burgers, combine onion and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Divide portion, shaping each into a 1/3-inch-thick oval patty. Heat a large grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until well-marked and done. Arrange 1 lettuce leaf, 1 patty, and about 1 1/2 tsp sauce in each pita half.

For the tomato-cucumber salad: combine 2 cups thinly sliced cucumber and 1/4 tsp salt in a colander; let stand 10 minutes. Squeeze out excess moisture. Combine cucumber, 2 cups thin tomato wedges, 2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, and 2 tsp EVOO.

To prepare sauce, make tahini paste (again, find your own recipe, ours wasn't the best) and combine the other ingredients. BAM!

Cookies and tea with friends, walking the pups, writing lesson plans, and taking a bath. Is it Friday yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment