Thursday, September 16, 2010

oatmeal pancakes.

Although these little monsters look like turkey burger patties, they are absolutely DELICIOUS. And healthy. But mostly delicious. Thank you, Cooking Light, and my sweet husband's inspiration for this recipe.



Oatmeal Pancakes. NOT turkey burger patties.
(we TRIPLED this recipe for our guest list tonight)

1/4 cup all-purpose flour (we used wheat flour)
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup nonfat buttermilk
2 Tbsp butter, melted (which we did in the stove because we so have a microwave, so what?)
1 large (brown) egg (personal pref)
cooking spray

(and you shouldn't even have to ask if I added flax seed or chopped pecans. because the answer is DUH.)

Combine the first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.

Combine buttermilk, butter, and egg in a small bowl. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

Heat a nonstick griddle (we used a cast iron skilled. Love.) over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Spoon however much pancake batter you want (there is just no eloquent way of putting a measurement) for your pancake onto griddle. Turn pancakes over when tops are covered with bubbles; cook until bottoms are lightly browned.

This recipe makes 4 pancakes. I ate 2.

Oh, and we made bacon and sliced up some peaches. You don't see bacon in the picture because I don't like bacon. You do see paper plates and plastic cups because we had some company over (sister, brother, and one of my little ones), and it's a school night. No me gusta dishes.

Colin wanted Spoon's yogurt afterwards, so we went and picked some up. One was mesmerized. He LOVES ice cream. These pictures are priceless.

"Daddy, can I have some?"



"Mommy, can you make daddy give me some?!"



Oh, HAPPY DAY, look what came in the mail! Hello my pretty. Except I have no time to read you until this weekend. Sad. I might try to escape into the bathtub.



Selfishly, I covet your prayers for health right now. I am on week 4 of a brutal cold, and can't even shake it after a week of antibiotics. In fact, I feel much worse. My sweet little ones were FABULOUS today (best day yet), and are so considerate of my coughing spells and raspy voice. Even through feeling like gum on the bottom of a shoe, I cherish and am so thankful for those moments where I am seeing the faint light at the "end" of the tunnel. They are learning so much and blow me away everyday with what they are capable. Just if they are given the tools and a chance.

My sister (Hannah) uses the phrase "Roots and Wings" a lot, and I have fallen in love with it. I pray everyday that I can give my kids roots - the tools to do everything that want to do, to show them the great things they are capable of, and to give them morals and "un-negotiables" (as we call them in our classroom) which reminds them to NEVER settle for anything less than they are worth. I also want to give them wings, to actually GO do those things. To let them have these responsibilities I am certain they are MORE than capable of having. It is good to see them soar on days like today. Taking initiatives, deeply caring about you and others, encouraging "the pack" to work as one (we got a GREEN card in lunch today, MAJOR!!).

I am a proud "Mama Lion" of 19.

No comments:

Post a Comment