Wednesday, September 29, 2010

oh, happy day.

It is a happy day because I have two KILLER recipes to share! We are so excited we are finding good, healthy, and affordable ones. So excited, I MUST share!!

Grilled Flank Steak with Fresh Mango Salsa



1 teaspoon garam masala (I couldn''t find this at HEB, so we made our own http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/easy-garam-masala/Detail.aspx)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (1-pound) flank steak
1 cup diced peeled fresh mango (about 1)
1/4 cup diced seeded cucumber
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
Dash of salt
Cooking spray

Preheat grill to medium-high heat.

Combine first 4 ingredients; rub evenly over both sides of steak. Let steak stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.

Combine mango and next 5 ingredients (through dash of salt); cover and chill.

Lightly coat both sides of steak with cooking spray. Place steak on grill rack; grill 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness (I'm a fan of well-done. My husband hates that). Remove steak from grill; let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with salsa.

Let me just say...DELICIOUS. I never knew I thought I would be a fan of veggie-fruit salad combos like this (see NEXT recipe too!), but I am a total sucker now. We also used grilled Naan bread and brushed some EVOO and minced garlic on it. So easy. So delsh.

Numero dos.

Chili-Rubbed Pork Kebabs with Pineapple Salsa.



1 pineapple, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
4 6-ounce boneless pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes

Heat grill to medium-high. Grill the pineapple slices (I should write an ode to our fab grill pan) for 2 minutes per side. Cut into a small dice, discarding the pieces of core.

In a bowl, combine the pineapple, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, pepper, 1 tablespoon of the oil, and ¾ teaspoon of the salt. Set aside.

Combine the chili powder and the remaining teaspoon of salt in a large bowl. Add the pork and the remaining tablespoon of oil and toss to coat.

Thread the pork onto four 12-inch skewers. Grill the kebabs, turning every 2 minutes, until cooked through, about 15 minutes total.

Serve the kebabs alongside the pineapple salsa. Again with the fruit/veg salsa. Pineapple and jalapeno? 1 year ago I would throw up in my mouth thinking about the two together. Now my mouth waters. You've GOT to try this!

Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment