Monday, September 20, 2010

the pink medicine. and stir-fry chicken salad.

Oh, the weekend. Unfortunately, I spent most of the weekend being sick. Hence the lack of pretty pictures of meals and recipes. Fortunately, it was quite the adventure. And I realized all over again how thankful I am for my husband. It brought me back to the gold ol' days (well, um, 3 months ago) of having a bladder infection on our honeymoon. But that's an entirely different story. Moving on.



[[start drooling. recipe coming soon.]]

I used to enjoy being "sick" growing up. I was/still am very healthy, but when I was little and would catch the school bug or whatever came around, I coveted the times that I would get my own drink at a restaurant. My parents would usually let my sister, Caitlin, and I share a soft drink, but I got to drink that whole thing myself at the sight of a cough or sniffly nose. With 4 kids, I know that my parents eventually had to give up with quarantining one of us at a time. I mean, we WERE taught to share everything.

Another thing I always looked forward to when being sick was the delicious pink, bubble gum-tasting medicine that even I, yes I, would fake an ear infection for. However, I think I had maybe 3 infections growing up. My sister had like 7 a year. Jealous. I could drink that stuff by the bottle. If only I would have been able to get past that child-proof cap. I tried explaining this obsession to my husband at one point and he remembered hating that stuff. He was never sick enough to have medicine. He is a carrier for all things sickly. Since I've known him, I don't think he has ever been sick. I mean it. He is superman. Fingers crossed our kids will get THAT gene. And the one for his great legs. I'm good with that.

McDonalds. Well, THAT is a place I haven't frequented in 9 years. Yes, count them. NINE. Personal preference. My body just can't handle fast food and expect to pump out long mileage on the pavement. Not that I've been running for the past month. Anyways, in the deliriousness of my fever starting into Pneumonia this weekend, all I wanted to eat was McDonalds. My husband said I was so adamant, he didn't even question me. Apparently, every American (spelling word this week) needs their McD's. So we pulled up to the drive-through (which I think is spelled, "drive-thru".....like I didn't even get my butt out of the car to at least WALK and get this food), and Colin ordered me a Quarter Pounder with cheese, fries, and a Dr. Pepper. Yes, a regular Dr. Pepper. Yes, bread and all on the burger. Yes, the greasier the fries the better. You can go ahead and tape those straight to my thighs. Please and thank you. It was all gone in a matter of 4 minutes. Which totaled out to be about 1,000 calories (good thing they have the "nutritional content" posted on the sides of everything now). Which totaled out to be 250 calories a minute. Kill me. Literally. I watched "Supersize Me" people, I am not ignorant of the consequences of my actions. I clearly reaped the benefits later. And those we will not explore into further detail.

Speaking of not running and eating less than wonderful lately, the Lord has really shown me my insecurities and dependence on running or being physically active. Let's be honest, I love running. There is something so therapeutic about hitting the pavement in the cool dark air at 4:45am before heading off to school. It gets my mind going, heart still, and body physically warmed up for a day where sitting down is like the heavens opening up. Anyways, Psalm 73:26 has just been resonating in my mind over the past month.

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

The second part has been so close to my heart. He is my portion. And He is more than enough. In all circumstances, in all trials, in all victories. He is it. I have been so discouraged (and selfish) lately about not having that time in the morning to get out and go. To be honest, even walking at night with Colin and One has been a struggle since the coughing and aching really set in. The Lord is so close, though, and is so sovereign. I am so thankful for the "new song" (Psalm 40:3) that He has put in my heart since school has started. I have a whole new job, 19 little ones to love on, a puppy to take care of, and a husband to love. How blessed I am. Physically this past month has been tough, but He is so faithful in remaining our strength and portion.

Even though I was under the weather, we still met Chuck and Alicia to take some maternity shots. Alicia and I worked together for the past few years during the summers when I would come home from school, and we became friends. I was so excited when she told us that she was expecting and that she and her husband would love to have us take some pictures of this sweet time in their lives. Here are a few of our favorites.








Well, this week for dinner, we have some of our favorite meals that we have discovered since being married. Tonight's meal was the Stir-Fry Chicken Salad. Delish. So healthy.


Stir-Fry Chicken Salad (thanks, Cooking Light)

1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon bottled chopped garlic (this stuff is a LIFESAVER!!)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast tenders
1 tablespoon peanut oil
4 cups mixed salad greens
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
Lime wedges


Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add chicken to broth mixture, stirring to coat. Let stand 3 minutes.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Drain chicken, reserving marinade. Add chicken to the pan; cook 4 minutes or until done, stirring frequently. Stir in the reserved marinade. Reduce heat; cook 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Remove pan from heat.

Combine greens in a large bowl. Add chicken mixture, tossing to coat. Place 1 1/4 cups salad mixture on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons onion and 1 1/2 teaspoons peanuts. Serve immediately.

I squeeze lots of lime on top of my salad to serve as the "dressing". It has a very light and fresh flavor with the organic greens and I don't like my salad drenched in dressing. However, Colin likes more of a "dressing", so Newman's Own makes a Light Lime Vinaigrette which preserves the limey flavor, but is more of a "dressing". Totally your pref.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment